|9 Months Ended|
Sep. 30, 2021
|Warrants and Rights Note Disclosure [Abstract]|
Note 12. Stock Warrants
Legacy Markforged Common Stock Warrants
As part of a loan agreement entered into with a lending institution during 2015, Legacy Markforged issued warrants to the lender granting the right to purchase 180,928 shares of the Legacy Markforged common stock at an exercise price of $0.06 per share. The loan agreement was terminated prior to January 1, 2018. The warrants were due to expire on February 17, 2025.
The warrants were classified as a derivative liability within other liabilities prior to exercise in the condensed consolidated balance sheets and subsequent adjustments to fair value are shown in other expense in the condensed consolidated statements of operations and comprehensive income (loss).
In June 2021, the lender exercised the warrant on a cashless basis and Legacy Markforged issued 179,572 shares of common stock. The fair value is measured at each reporting date using the Black-Scholes model using the following inputs. The inputs below correspond to June 10, 2021, the date of exercise:
Management considers contemporaneous third-party valuations in its determination of the fair value of common stock. The fair value of common stock increased significantly in large part due to the change in the probability of special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) exit. For the June 10, 2021 valuation, the Company assigned a 95% probability of a SPAC exit and a 5% probability of staying a private company.
Preferred Stock Warrants
As part of a development agreement executed with a customer in 2019, Legacy Markforged agreed to issue warrants to the customer to purchase Series D convertible preferred stock that would vest upon the achievement of certain payment milestones. The warrants granted the customer the right to purchase up to 280,528 shares of the Company’s Series D convertible preferred stock at an exercise price of $0.00001 per share. As the customer remits payment for goods purchased from the company under the development agreement, a pro-rata share of warrants vest. The warrants were set to expire on September 24, 2029 but were completely vested and exercised as of the Closing.
The Company accounts for the warrants issued to the customer as consideration payable to the customer and a reduction of revenue with a corresponding adjustment to convertible preferred stock. The Company accounts for the warrants that vest to the customer as a reduction to deferred revenue and a corresponding adjustment to convertible preferred stock. The value of the warrants is measured based on the grant date fair value. The grant date was considered to occur at the execution date of the development agreement.
In accordance with the development agreement, 19,036 warrants vested during the three months ended September 30, 2021 and no warrants vested during the three months ended September 30, 2020. 110,212 and 70,130 warrants vested during the nine months ended September 30, 2021 and 2020, respectively. As a result, the Company recorded $0.4 million related to the warrants in the three months ended September 30, 2021, and of $0.6 million and $0.4 million related to the warrants in the nine months ended September 30, 2021 and 2020, respectively. As of September 30, 2021, there were no outstanding but unvested warrants remaining under the terms of the development agreement.
Private Placement Warrants and Public Warrants
The Private Placement Warrants were initially recognized as a liability on July 14, 2021 at a fair value of $5.7 million. The Private Placement Warrants were remeasured to a fair value of $4.3 million as of September 30, 2021. The Company recorded a gain of $1.4 for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2021, which is included in change in fair value of derivative liabilities on the condensed consolidated statements of operations and comprehensive income (loss).
The Private Placement Warrants were valued using the following assumptions under the Binomial Lattice Model:
The Public Warrants were recognized in stockholder’s equity at a fair value of $9.7 million on July 14, 2021.
Warrants And Rights Note Disclosure Text Block
No definition available.
No definition available.